Thought I would trot this out with parties and celebrations on the horizon.
By special request:
KT’s Cowboy Caviar recipe
Marked with * means “it will still be good without this”, but even better WITH
>> Core ingredients
2- cans of black eyed peas
1- can of black beans
2- cans of shoe peg corn
1- bunch of green onions chopped
1- can diced/chopped tomatoes (seeded)
½ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup olive oil
1- Tablespoon of Agave Nectar* (light preferred, but the dark works well, just use a little less)
2- Teaspoons cumin
3-5 cloves worth of smashed garlic
2-5 pickled or plain jalapenos seeded and chopped (to taste) – Ortega makes chopped jalapenos in small cans, it’s the perfect amount
Pepper to taste
1-3 teaspoons of freeze dried Cilantro* (Litehouse makes a good one)
Optional: like it hot? Sprinkle just a touch of ground Habanero chili in the dressing – wow!
2- avocados chopped (ripe, firm, cold, add just before serving)*
Johnny’s seasoning salt to taste* (if you can't get this, rant and rave to your local grocer, 'cause you don't know what you are missing!) Especially good sprinkled after the avocados have been added.
> > IMPORTANT
- Drain and rinse most core ingredients before using (canned beans, corn etc.)
- Put the core ingredients in a large bowl then pour dressing on, mix and refrigerate for 2-24 hours.
- Drain any excess liquid before serving (proper size colander/strainer, leaving the good stuff)
Any chip or cracker will work, but Fritos scoops have the volume to handle this caviar.
Naturally, any of these ingredients are better if fresh and/or (maybe frozen).
- You can make the dressing the day before and refrigerate
- Other creative ingredients that work: red onion, pimentos, celery (all chopped)
- Experiment with different bean combinations, as long as they are firm beans.
- I’ve tried it with red wine vinegar; it’s not as good as apple cider vinegar